Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of exceeding joy of which I taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. ~ Alma 36:24







Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Letter: 1/15/2013 ~ Knocking on Doors

Hello Family!

It was so fun to read everyone's emails this morning. I am so excited to hear about everything that is going on. Sounds like everyone is doing well. I am working on staying focused. It is hard a little bit because I am so close to going home. Two months really is not that long. I still have a lot of work to accomplish and do before I come home. I love my mission more now than I ever have. The life of a missionary is wonderful. But I am human and so my thoughts wander home. But I am studying diligence and enduring to the end and enjoying the journey. Studying these topics in the scriptures have helped to motivate me a lot.

I am working harder than ever and this is part of being a missionary serving faithfully unto the end. Heavenly Father wants us to enjoy the journey but continually doing what we know to be right. Sometimes we get tired of the routine of it all. We get caught up in wanting to do what the Lord wants us to do that we forget the why of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is important that we live the how and know the what because it helps us stay on the path but we forget why. When we forget the why, living the gospel can become a burden. We lose the fire of it all and the joy of living the gospel. It is through remembering and being thankful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ that brings us joy in living the gospel of Jesus Christ. When we give our heart, not just open it, but give our heart then we feel the fire of the gospel and the joy. Sometimes it requires doing things that we don't enjoy or that we need to repent more. Repenting in the sense of getting back on track of what we know is right. It doesn't mean we are bad people because we need to repent. It means that we are becoming good through repentance and the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Lord rejoices more out of any one when a soul repents. Repenting is bringing our will in alignment with God's will and our lives in harmony with Him.

Our little India family is.... I am not sure how they are doing. They don't respond any more. I am so sad. I feel I have lost precious friends. I am sad they don't want to come to church any more and don't want to visit. It is hard when you don't know why. But I know the Lord is aware. He surely loves us. He will help the India family to come unto Him through other means. Its not just us missionaries.

Chris was baptized this weekend. It was wonderful to be a part of it. After he was baptized, our ward mission leader asked him how he felt. He said, "I feel like a million bucks." It is a great feeling to know that you have been cleansed from all your sins. Which is why I am so thankful for the sacrament because we are cleansed from sin. We can leave church feeling like a million bucks when we have come to the sacrament table ready to repent and change. There is no greater feeling than knowing you are forgiven of the wrong you have done. We don't have to feel the burden of sin anymore. Too often people carry the burden of sin because they don't want to repent yet for many different reasons. But if we repent sooner then we can enjoy more time being happy. The Lord wants to help cleanse us from sin. He wants to make us clean. He has desired this for us since the beginning when He gave the world His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ. I know through the conditions of repentance we can be made clean and whole again. Even when it is our own fault or the choices of other people.

Sister Smith and I have been knocking on lots of doors and no one is home. We decided that we would try to make our knocks more friendly to help people want to answer the door. So we knock the beat of a hymn. I am not sure if it really sounds like the hymn. We burst into laughter afterwards. So maybe if they hear us laughing they will want to open the door. No worries we try to stay as dignified as possible. :)

Sis. Smith and I taught young women's last week in the Cooper ward. It was so much fun. I hope to be a young women leader some day. I absolutely love the "Come Follow Me" program. I think it is incredible. It was fun to see how they worked to help one another better learn and understand the pure doctrines of Christ. You could see a difference in the laurels compared to the beehives. But the laurels stepped up to the plate and helped the beehives.

I had an interview with President Ellsworth. He asked me what I have learned from my mission. I didn't even know where to begin. I have learned so much. I don't know if there is just one major theme of my mission. I am going to reflect on it more in what little spare time I have.

As it gets closer to the end of my mission it is easier to give up my selfish desires in order to help someone else. I am more willing to give up my lunch break and other times that are usually for myself. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to eat. It takes too much time away I feel. Any way....

Things are great. I love you all. I miss you. Take care.

Love,

Sister Kranendonk

No comments:

Post a Comment