Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of exceeding joy of which I taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. ~ Alma 36:24







Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Letter: 7/16/2012 ~ Missionary Work is Missionary Fun

Dear Family,

How is everyone doing?  Man I felt extremely loved this past week because I received so much mail.  I had something come almost every day.  It definitely has made other missionaries jealous.  Thank you for thinking of me.  It helps me to keep pushing forward and doing the best that I can.  It also rained a ton this past week.  There were rivers going down the roads.  It was amazing.  We were absolutely soaked. Missionary work doesn't stop for bad weather that's for sure.  We enjoyed the rain. 

Sister Anderson and I now cover four wards Avalon, North Point, Salt River and Highgroves YSA wards.  It is so fun.  I have loved being in the YSA ward.  It has been a fun thing so far.  We went to the Highgroves ward on Sunday.  There was a guy that we met.  His name is Jeff.  He is not a member yet he has been coming to church for four weeks now.  We met with him last night and set a baptismal date for next Saturday.  I am super excited for him.  He is 22 years old.  He said he is pretty excited.   So we will see what happens over the next two weeks. 

I love being able to teach over the phone.  I feel I am better at that than other situations.  I have had some interesting and precious moments teaching on the phone.  I find myself always working more with less active people than anything.  I feel I can relate to them better and help them to find their way back.  There is a girl who I have been teaching on the phone.  At first when I talked to her it was awkward and I was never sure if she really cared to talk to me.  I wasn't sure if I should keep calling.

One day I decided to call her.  We started talking about how life was for her.  She works for her aunt in running coffee shops.  She lives in Kentucky.  She comes from a blended family.  We talked about prayer.  She said she didn't pray much.  She also felt that she doesn't understand the bible at all.  She said I wish someone would sit down with me and explain the bible to me. I told her that I could teach her over the phone.  Then she told me that she was too busy with work and school.  I said I understand what it is like to be busy and not feel like you have any time.  I told her about how I had two jobs and went to school full time and that was not easy.  I told her that for me in the mornings it was a matter of do I wear make up or do I read my scriptures.  I said most days I went without make up.  I knew that if I put the Lord first in my life then He would help me.  I knew that He would strengthen me.  And He did.  I gained a strong testimony of that while going to school. I said I know the Lord will do the same for you if you put Him first in your life.  Somehow she was led to ask well how do I get over what happened when I was little.  I remembered a story that I had read in the Ensign last month which I asked her if I could read it to her and I did. http://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/06/finding-peace-through-forgiveness?lang=eng 

I particularly shared these two paragraphs with her.

"Time passed. In response to much fasting and prayer, Heavenly Father helped me heal. But healing was a gradual process, not an overnight miracle. Some days I felt peaceful and forgiving. Other times I wrestled with rage or despondency. As I drew near to Heavenly Father, however, He helped me think more as He did and see others more as He saw them—through eyes of mercy. As time passed, I experienced promptings that helped me understand, empathize with, and finally love the person who had hurt me. While it would be premature to say I’m now completely at peace with the past, I do feel more connected to God than I have ever felt before. That’s an invaluable blessing.

"President Faust closed his conference talk with this testimony: “With all my heart and soul, I believe in the healing power that can come to us as we follow the counsel of the Savior ‘to forgive all men’ (D&C 64:10).”7 I share this testimony. Healing does come. In fact, it’s my experience that the Savior doesn’t heal souls by simply restoring us to our former state of wellness. When He heals, He graciously overdoes it. He makes us healthier than we ever were before the onset of the affliction. His objective is our happiness and peace."

It was amazing as I read this story to her I could feel how much she needed this story.  The spirit testified so strongly to me that all that I was reading to her was true.  I knew I felt the influence of the spirit.  My heart was pounding and I was so excited and happy to share this with her.   At the end you could tell that she felt the spirit because even her tone was more gentle, loving and hopeful.  She made the comment, "I better start reading then."  It's amazing how reading the scriptures can bring such a power into our lives when we do read and study from them.

I know we can be healed through the Atonement.  Christ is going to leave us better than we were before.  That is what the atonement is all about is strengthening us, giving us enabling power, cleansing us from sin, and redeeming us.  I know God's objective is our happiness.  I have seen this time and time again.  Everything we have in the gospel is for our happiness. I also have a strong testimony of reading the Ensign.  There is such a sweet spirit when we do read it.  It is what Heavenly Father has to say to us today and now.  I feel the spirit so strong when I read it.  There are so many treasures found in them.  I know and believe in modern revelation through prophets and apostles.  God does speak to us today and the heavens certainly are not sealed.

I want you to all know how much I love you!

Love,

Sister Kranendonk

No comments:

Post a Comment