Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of exceeding joy of which I taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. ~ Alma 36:24







Friday, March 9, 2012

Letter: 3/5/2012 ~ Reactivating

Hello Family,

How is every one?  I hope you are all doing well.  I love being able to hear from everyone.  Letters and emails are definitely priceless on a mission. 

This past week we had a zone activity with the elders.  It was a lot of fun.  We played kickball.  I haven't played that since I was in 3rd grade.  It was a lot of fun.  I thought I might have to have one of the elders kick my ball for me.  But I was able to kick it all on my own.  But somehow I always managed to get all the outs for my team.  I don't know if they appreciated it all that much.  The elders also made Sister Lewis and I be team captains.  I didn't want to pick which elders I wanted on my team.  All of the elders lined up and one of the elders who likes me yelled out "Hey Sister Kranendonk, I want to be on your team."  Everyone knows that this elder likes me.  I was kind of embarrassed.  Oh well... it was funny.  This elder who likes me thinks I look like Taylor Swift.  We all laughed at that. :)

We had a really good lesson with the Stolp family.  Br. Spencer one of the members in the ward was absolutely amazing.  I am so thankful for him.  He asked the most amazing and inspired questions.  It helped us to get to know the needs of the investigators so well.  Now that we know what they are, we can teach towards them.  Br. Spencer was amazing in how he communicated.  You could tell that he was listening with love and completely focused on what was being said.  Then he would say, "So this is what I am hearing..."  then he would communicate back to her what he understood.  It was incredible.  She was glowing and so happy to finally have someone understand her.  One of the main reasons why they won't join is because of the rich Lutheran family tradition.  It would completely disrupt the family and they already don't have good relationships with their family.  They also said they feel that now is the time but they know they will switch religions and they would join the mormon religion.  They told us they do want us to still stop by and teach them.  They want to learn more.  They also know there would be a lot that they would have to give up joining the church.  They don't want to join half heartedly, if they are going to join they will go all the way.  Barb also said we would join if we had a spiritual impression that we should join now.  She said but I keep getting the feeling that I need to be patient. 

We are working with lots of people who are less active.  We had a chance to sit down with one of our bishops and go over the ward list and talk about the needs of each member.  Sister Lewis and I plan to do this with each of the Bishops.  We already have 100 names of people that could use a visit.  We are going to get the ward missionaries involved in each of the wards.  We surely cannot do it on our own and nor should we.  The ward members are the ones who will be here forever. 

Sister Darner is one of my favorite women to go visit.  She is such a sweet lady.  She is less active. She has a lot going on.  She said that she always appreciates our visits and that we always come at a time when she needs us.  This is truly by the spirit.  I am thankful for the guidance of the spirit.  That same night that I was on splits and Sister Abplanalp was with me I learned a valuable lesson about the Savior.  Sis. Abplanalp said Jesus Christ spent His time with the people who need him most.  I absolutely loved realizing that.  Some of those people who need us the most may live in houses that don't have the nicest smell or its not the nicest house.  But that is where Jesus Christ would spend his time. 

Sister Lewis and I were waiting at a park to meet up with someone to go on splits.  But the girl never came.  We saw a woman sitting on a bench with her dogs.  We walked over and started talking to her.  Her name is Nancy and she is visiting from Virginia.  She talked about how much she loved Jesus Christ and what He meant to her.  I agreed with her.  I testified of Jesus Christ and about the Book of Mormon.  I said if you want to come to know Jesus Christ better then read the Book of Mormon.  I promised her that she would come to know Him better.  She said then I will have to read it.  She took a copy of the book from us.  It was awesome.  We continued to talk to her.  She opened up more and talked about how she is not on speaking terms with her son.  Her son is mad at her for having been married to an alcoholic. He felt deeply hurt by her.  She said I am sad that I don't have a relationship with him and even more sad that he does not have a relationship with Jesus Christ.  I then referred back to the Book of Mormon and said that if she read the book with questions in mind about her son then she would know what steps to take to help her son and to develop a relationship with him.  She said I will definitely have to read this book then.  I pray that the Lord will continue to lead and guide her and help her discover her answers. I know that he will.  This is something I have come to know better is that the Book of Mormon is a book of answers.  It will help to answer any question.  The Lord can only speak to us if we are reading the Book of Mormon. 

We are working with the Bastian Family.  The mom really wants to go to church but is made fun of for wanting to go.  Her husband has a lot of questions about the Book of Mormon and the validity of it.  But he is not willing to meet with us.  We are trying to help the husband get on a board to help get their family involved.  They have two children that have not been baptized yet. 

I love you all dearly.  I am thankful to have been blessed with my family.  I appreciate all the years people put up with me.  It's a good thing I am on a mission.  :) I love you all.

Love,

Sister Kranendonk

No comments:

Post a Comment