Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of exceeding joy of which I taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. ~ Alma 36:24







Friday, January 13, 2012

Letter: 1/9/2011 ~ Happy Day!

Howdy!

How is every one doing? I sure love hearing from everybody. It makes me so happy. I am not as homesick anymore. I am definitely feeling the spirit of missionary work. I love doing what I do. It sure is a privilege to be serving. I am also beginning to like the call center. I love being able to call people and inviting them to learn more. Its funny when people hang up on me. Although I really don't like it but it does make me laugh. I have talked to people who appreciated the phone call but were still not interested. I am thankful for nice people in this world. :)

Last night Sister Parker and I went over to a former investigator's home. This sister is married and has children who are baptized. I asked her what she thought about the mormon beliefs. She said it is interesting, but she has issues with Joseph Smith. We weren't able to teach her more truth to open up her opinion of Joseph Smith. She felt that since the Book of Mormon is not used by all religions then it couldn't possibly be true. It was hard to teach her and I don't feel like she felt the spirit and she may have been offended. Although I didnt' get the outcome I hoped for, I feel like this experience was teaching me how to be more bold but not overbearing. Sister Parker and I felt like we were battling for her soul, trying to help her to see that the Book of Mormon is truly from God and testifies of Jesus Christ. I felt so strongly prompted to say I know that this book comes from God and Jesus Christ. I told her that we care about her and were not trying to tear down her faith but adding to it. We want her to see what Heavenly Father truly has to offer for all of His children. I felt like this was our chance to truly testify to her.

Unfortunately she isn't ready right now. Hopefully a few seeds were still planted. We told them that if they changed their minds they could call us and we could come over and teach them. We also offered to help with anything around the house. This sister an her husband have several health problems and we would love to keep serving them. I know that her husband would be interested in learning more but is waiting for his wife to be more comfortable. We had said that since the Bible has been translated so many times many plain and precious truths were lost but this is where the Book of Mormon comes in. The Book of Mormon has only been translated once through the power of God. The Book of Mormon adds to the Bible helps us to understand it better and to fill in the gaps where the Bible can't. This brother said then this book must be true if it's only been translated once. We will continue to pray for them. I know they are still being prepared and that the Lord never ever gives up on any of His children. He truly is kind and merciful.

I know that it is the word of God. I know that it is another witness of Jesus Christ. It is full of God's power. I love reading the Book of Mormon. 2 Nephi 29 is becoming one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon. It truly testifies of a living God today. I know that God is the same yesterday today and forever. I know that God still speaks to us today in many different ways, a prophet, modern day revelation and so on. I know this is God's work. I am thankful to be a part of it. I am definitely in the work of saving souls. It definitely feels like a battle when people are not as receptive and don't see how it can bless their lives. Which is why I am trying to be more worthy of the spirit, so that spirit can work through me to help bring Heavenly Father's children to Jesus Christ.

We also been visiting with a mom. She is married and has two little kids. She is less active and really doesn't know much about the church. Her husband is Catholic. He really does not like the LDS church. We have slowly become friends with her. One evening I saw her at the visitor center and it truly was a miracle to see her there. We visited with her a few days after. She said that while she was there her daughter pointed at the Christus statue and asked who that was. This mom felt bad to realize that her daughter did not know who Jesus Christ was and even more she didn't even know how to explain it to her daughter. We asked her if we could come over and teach her more about Jesus Christ. She said let me talk to my husband because we need to decide what we want to teach our children and what religion we want them to grow up in. Dad always says that when people get married and start thinking about how they want to raise their children they always go back to their roots, back to what they were taught. This woman's family was not super active but they are now. She is hesitant to raise them Catholic and likes the idea of the LDS religion but her husband said they are going to go to a Catholic church. She said we could still come by and visit with her. I know she will come around some day.

I love all of you. I miss you tons. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sister Kranendonk

No comments:

Post a Comment