Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of exceeding joy of which I taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. ~ Alma 36:24







Monday, January 30, 2012

Letter: 1/30/2012 ~ Training




Hello Everyone!

Wow another week has come and gone.  Time flies so fast on the mission.  It definitely is different being a trainer.  The first day of training meetings really set in the responsibility for me.  I set an example for this new missionary to follow and it really sets the tone for the rest of their mission.  I am trying to spend lots of time on my knees in knowing how to help her.  I am here to uplift, bless, and encourage her.  Although I feel like she is training me.  I have learned so much from Sister Lewis.  She is an excellent missionary. She loves to speak her mind and is not afraid to share it.  She is inspired by the spirit.  We have had incredible experiences this past week when teaching.  I will tell you about them in a minute.  She has such a strong testimony of prayer.  She truly sees how prayer changes everything.  She is very organized and top of things.  I am trying hard to set a better example for her to follow. 

By the way getting letters from friends and family mean everything to me.  Because I am told that I am loved and that I am doing a good job.  I sometimes feel like my companions might not love me as much. Oh well... such is life. :)  Yesterday Sister Lewis and I spoke in sacrament meeting in the Thunder Mountain ward.  It was all missionary oriented.  The ward is having a ward fast for missionary experiences.  I think it will be awesome.  This ward already has a ton of missionary work going on.  The ward members here are absolutely wonderful. The first two pictures are of me and Sister Lewis together.  The other one is with a recent convert.  Her name is Alma Holcomb.  Sister Parker and I helped her move.  Alma also spoke in church with us. 

This past week we met with Chuck.  He is awesome.  He kept his commitment and read the chapters we assigned him in the Book of Mormon.  He had a few questions.  Sister Lewis is so good at asking questions and digging deep to get to know someone and know where their beliefs are.  She listens so intently when someone is speaking.  Sister Beeson is a member of the Mountain Ridge ward.  She is always willing and happy to come to our visits with us.  I love it.  Chuck committed to praying and reading about the Book of Mormon.  Sister Lewis asked him what would it mean for him to find out if the Book of Mormon was true.  He said it would change everything.  His family would be very upset with him and in some way kind of disown him.  It would cause a lot of family problems.  Plus his wife left him and all he knows is that she is on the East Coast some where.  His kids really struggle with their mom being gone obviously.  He has two neighbors that are members who are helping to take care of him.  So hopefully we can invite him to come to church with us. 

We met with the Stolp family this week.  We were able to discover a few more of the issues they are struggling with in the church.  Although I feel that if people would pray and read the Book of Mormon their struggles in a sense would be taken care of.  It would make a huge difference in their lives.  They committed to reading the Book of Mormon.  Barb has been doing well in already reading the Book of Mormon.  She is trying to help Bert to read it.  Sister Lewis asked some good questions to find out more of what they believe. 

Sister Lewis is doing fantastic considering it is her first week. She is excelling in all aspects.  I really feel like I am not training her at all.  She is so intune with the spirit.  We have good companionship unity.  We are able to pray for each other to be inspired and saying the things that need to be said.  We have spent some time with a few women this past week who are less active.  The one woman has been inactive pretty much all of her life.  She really doesn't know much about the church.  She struggles with why blacks did not have the priesthood for a time.  I didn't quite know what to say.  I told her that the world was being prepared for the fullness of the everlasting gospel to be restored.  It had to be restored line upon line.  If any of you can help me to answer this question I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

We also talked with a sister this week.  She is so ashamed for having had two failed marriages.  She is ashamed to go to church because of how family oriented the church is.  We helped her to see that going to church and the temple is where she needs to be.  She thanked us for the reminders in our visit.  We shared with her Doctrine and Covenants 50:40-44. She came to church on Sunday and we sat with her.  She told us that she wanted us to come back again and visit with her. 

I love you tons.  You are all in my prayers.  I saw the pictures of the shower.  It looked like it was a lot of fun.  I really wish I could have been there.  Molly, thank you for sending me the money. I appreciate you doing that for me.  Thank you for all of your love and support. 

Love,

  Sister Emily Kranendonk

No comments:

Post a Comment