Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of exceeding joy of which I taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. ~ Alma 36:24







Monday, January 30, 2012

Letter: 1/23/2012 ~ Changes





Hey Everyone,

I hope all yall' are doing great.  My companion says that.  Even though she is from Denver, she learned to talk in Texas.  :)  I have some exciting news.  My mission president called me and asked if I would be a trainer.  I can't believe the Lord trusts me.  I am blown away by this.  I know this will be an opportunity to trust in the Lord more.  I have only been out three and a half months, crazy.  I am thankful to have this opportunity.  It certainly is a privilege.  I feel that way about everything on the mission.  It truly is a privilege to serve and love the people.  I am thankful to have everything that I have.  Normally President Ellsworth calls during the day.  Well I thought since it was 9:30 p.m., I would not be training.  I kept telling myself that Sister Parker and I would be together for at least one more transfer.  But then the phone rang, I saw that it was the Mission Office.  I knew that phone call was for me.  I answered and said Hello this is Sister Kranendonk.  :) He said tell your companion I love her, she is being transferred.  He said I would like to ask you to accept the call as trainer. I said I would love to.  He said it is a wonderful privilege to help a missionary who is starting out on their mission.  He told me I would do a great job.  I can't believe it.  There is only one visitor center missionary that is coming in this transfer.  Her name is Sister Lewis.  She is  from Utah.  I have seen her picture and she looks familiar to me.  I can't wait to meet her on Wednesday.  I think it will be fun.  I am still blown away by it.  Everyone else isn't, but I am.  :)  A lot of people told me they knew I would be training.  Sometimes I feel like I should be more mature or know more. But the Lord calls us in our weakness and makes us strong.  I know this is meant to be.  The Lord has divinely designed a mission for each of us.  Oh and Sister Shurtz is also training this transfer.  I love that sister.

This past week we met with Chuck.  This was a  great visit with him.  He has not been reading the Book of Mormon because of how crazy work has been for him and being a single dad is not easy.  But we read from the Book of Mormon with him.  He enjoyed and had a lot of questions.  His neighbor Sister Beeson is a member and she comes to the lessons with us.  She is a single mom with four kids I think.  It is nice she is available to join us.  He tells us that he wants to come to church but would have to find a babysitter for his kids. He would have a lot of family conflict if he took the kids to church.  We are working to find people to babysit his kids for him.  He said he is not really looking to change religions, he is comfortable with his religion now.  He still wants to keep learning more.  Chuck is still looking to be informed and not converted.  He likes what he hears though.  It will be interesting to see how things turn out for him. :) 

We met with the Stolp family this past week. They are truly my favorite family.  I love being able to go over there.  They have a miniature horse and his name is Scout.  He has figured out to get in the house.  If they are not careful he nudges his way in and eats the dog food.  When we were there the other day Scout came in but we were in the other room and didn't see Scout.  Otherwise I would have loved seeing it.  I wish I could have taken a picture.  Sister Stolp is working to strengthen her family.  She read the Book of Mormon a little bit this past week which led her to a passage in the bible. She was able to share it with her kids and have a great discussion.  She wants to help her family but she struggles because she feels like she is doing it all on her own.  Br. Stolp is trying to figure out medical issues and family issues.  We committed them to have family prayer every night this week.  They said it sounded like a great idea and it was something they needed to do.  Maddie and Tristan are the kids.  I love going over there.  They are awesome.  I know they have a belief in God.  They enjoy having us come over.  We are trying to get the trust of Br. Stolp.  I think we are slowly getting it. 

Sister Parker and I do a lot of service.  This past week we helped one of the Relief Society presidents paint angels for her visiting teaching project.  It was relaxing.  It made me think of mom because of all the wood painting she use to do.  We also went over to a less active and part member family and sanded the rusty paint off of an iron fence.  That was an interesting experiencing.  We thought we would get to talk with the family while doing it but did not get to because they had all their own projects they are working on.  Right now we are working on gaining their trust. I think the husband would be interested in learning more if it were not for the wife.  She use to teach at another Christian school.  They seem to like us which is good. 

Sister Parker and I have been working with the Collins family.  We have gone over so many times to visit with them and set up appointments.  It is very rare if they will answer their phone.  It is a part member and less active family.  We want to help them come to church and baptize the boys who are old enough to baptize.  It is kind of sad in a way because the kids want to be baptized but the parents keep putting it off.  They are embarrassed for not having come to church for awhile.  We are trying to show them lots of love and help them to feel welcomed.  Sister Parker had the idea of heart attacking their house.  Which is what we did.  We left notes of encouraging words for them.  Br. Packham knows this family well.  He is trying to visit with them too.  He went over yesterday and had a great visit with them.  They told him about the heart attack and all of them absolutely loved it.  We did not tell them family that it was from us.  We put it from the Mountain Ridge ward.  Hopefully it will help them to feel loved and welcomed at church. 

We have been trying to teach Jordan Polve but we have not been able to set up a time. We talked to his dad because we want to make sure the parents are involved.  When we talked to the dad he said we could come over.  So when we called he said that time is not going to work and really we are not interested in having you come over.  We have been less active for ten years and have no interest in coming to church. He said don't take it personal but we don't want to have you come over.  I wanted to clarify about Jordan.  I said so does this mean we cannot teach Jordan.  He said Jordan only said yes to being baptized because he was being nice.  He doesn't actually want to be baptized.  I said okay well thank you.  Let us know if we can do anything for you.  But I can't believe that Jordan does not want to be baptized because he comes to church every week without family.  He is 14 years old.  He comes to church which starts at 9:00 a.m.  But I think it will be okay because the ward members know Jordan very well and are looking out for him.  Even though we cannot go over the ward is helping him out. 

We had dinner with Sis. Munroe and her friend Marilyn who is not a member.  Sis. Munroe lives by herself. She has been divorced and does not have the choice to see her kids.  She does not make a lot of money.  She is going to school to get a degree.  She amazes me because of her goodness.  She is so sweet and kind to people.  She is a great example of generosity.  She has a firm testimony.  I love her dearly.  I met her a couple of months ago at the visitor center and had a wonderful conversation that was meant to be.  Sis. Munroe has a happy attitude about life and has a strong testimony.  You don't have to have all the wealth in the world to be happy. In fact that is not what makes you happy, what makes a person happy is the spirit. 

I love you all dearly. I hope you are doing well.  I miss you tons. I can't wait to hear from all of you.

Love,

   Sister Kranendonk

No comments:

Post a Comment